This "chorizo" recipe will fool absolutely nobody into thinking it's actual chorizo... but that's not really the point is it? This is a way for a vegan or vegetarian to add some fun flavors and textures to their food without relying on heavily processed store bought alternatives that are full of chemicals. This quick and easy recipe is from the excellent Vegan Brunch.
- 1/2 cup cooked pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves, grated or finely minced
- 1 and 1/4 cups vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon dry rubbed sage (not powdered)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Set up your steamer apparatus, bring water to a full boil, and ready four sheets of tin foil.
- In a large bowl mash the beans until no whole ones are left. Add all other ingredients in the order listed and mix with a fork.
- Split the dough into quarters and place on individual foil sheets. Mold each piece of dough into a 5 inch long log and wrap it up in the foil like a tootsie roll. You don't have to worry too much about shaping it since the steaming process will do most of the work.
- Steam the wrapped sausages for 40 minutes and they are ready for use... or they can be refrigerated for later in their foil wrapping.