Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Dragon Age Disaster Averted

When I returned from Maine Sunday night, my computer found a lot of errors on my media hard drive on boot up... this caused me to raise an eyebrow, but no undue concern... that is, not until I tried to play Dragon Age and every single save I had appeared to be corrupted. I'm not entirely sure how many hours I spent on the game, but my character is level 17... so the investment is nontrivial. Not only were my save games corrupted, but the game crashed when I tried to even create a new character. I tried reinstalling the game, and moving the character folder... no dice... and what I eventually had to do was unistall the game and move the Dragon Age folder in the My Documents\BioWare directory to a temporary location so that I could do a fully clean install. Much to my surprise, when I moved my character into the new install I was able to recover my game... the autosaves were still corrupted, but I was able to go back to one a bit earlier that appeared fine.

I doubt this is a problem many people will run into, but I'm putting it out there just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment